Friday, November 5, 2010

Asian Pear Crisp

















My parents have a wonderful Asian pear tree in their yard.  Every November, they are generous enough to let me pick a ton of delicious fruit.  Today I put them in a crisp.  It was divine.

Ingredients:

For Pears:
5 Asian pears 
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon grated or ground ginger


For Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick melted butter

Pre-heat oven to 350°  

















Choose 5 luscious ripe Asian pears. Peel, chop and put them in a big bowl.
Add vanilla to the pears and mix well.  
Then add flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.

















Mix well and add ginger.

















In a separate bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, oatmeal and butter.

















Mix well.

















Pour the pear mixture in a pie dish and add topping.

















Serve with tart frozen yogurt or vanilla ice cream!  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I've never cooked Asian pears. I don't know why...
    What is the texture like in the finished dessert?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ginger! Well, the Asian pears don't break down nearly as much as a regular pear or even an apple. They stay fairly firm... but juicy and delicious as well! Next time I would add some lemon juice to the pear mixture to help it cook down a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last night, for the first time, I actually used my own website to find a recipe! I'm tooling around with the asian pear crisp to make it better. This time, I did add more lemon juice (about 1 lemon per pie tin). I also cut the asian pears into 1/4 inch slivers instead of chunks. This helped them cook down a little more. I also tweaked the topping to make it a little more crumbly. Turned out great!

    ReplyDelete